Hi ya'll! This is Maria's and Hecki's blog to tell about us and our special connection to the United States! We are very good friends from Hamburg, Germany with two or three homes besides our hometown Hamburg; Pleasant Grove, Utah and Marion, South Carolina. Have fun reading our blog!

August 04, 2008

Well, vacation is almost over and there is only a few days left until school starts. I finished my internship yesterday, at the end it was quite awesome since I really had stuff to do and I wasn't just sitting or standing around and somebody would explain me something. I worked on an engine (General Electric CF6-80C2) for Jumbo jets, which was very interesting and I had lots of fun doing it. The first week was the most boring week of the whole thing, since I was just standing there with a piece of aluminum and rasping it until it was so smooth that my supervisor was satisfied, and that literally took 4 days (รก 7 hours). The second week I was in the safety section where the fire extinguisher and oxygen mask overhauls were. That was a little more interesting than the first week and finally the third week which I told you about. To have at least a little fun at my last days of vacation I decided to visit Moritz, Maria and their dad in Saaleck on one weekend inbetween my internship.

So i booked tickets for the "Deutsche Bahn" which is the train company and left on Friday afternoon, I didn't even get to see the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Anyway, the train took about 4 hours tp get to Naumburg, which was the closest train station to Saaleck, of course the train was late (as German trains are always late). The funniest thing though was the announcements of the railroad engineer who had to make them in German and in English, the English parts are always funny because most of them just don't know English real well and try to hide that by mumbling. I got there at about 9:15 and they were waiting at the train station to pick me up, which was very nice. Saaleck didn't change much, I at least didn't notice anything. We had dinner and played a game which (Moritz thought it was funny) was in my opinion kind of boring and then we went to bed.

The next day, the sun was shining and I had the pleasure to get up at 8 involuntary, since Moritz and Maria couldn't decide who gets to use the bathroom first, so they had a little argument in front of my (opened) door. We had breakfast outside and it was warm and nice (the bees thought that too). After that we played badminton, destroyed 3 shuttlecocks after five minutes and that was it. Later we went up to "Himmelreich" , a restaurant on the hills that surround Saaleck and you have a wonderful view of the little village. So we took picture with our model Nemo and made some crazy videos. Moritz's and Maria's dad went back very soon because he was tired and wanted to lay down. We decided to stay there for a little longer. After we went down, we got ready for dinner and drove to Naumburg to eat. After dinner, we looked through Naumburg to walk off the food and at night we watched the movie "The pianist", a very brutal but good and realistic movie about a polish ghetto in Warsaw and a man, who is a pianist but has to flee from the Nazis.

After we were done and all tired (12:00) somebody of us came up with the idea to play playstation which we did, but after 15 minutes we were so tired that nobody really wanted to continue and we went to bed, since we had to get up early again (which I was used to already).

The next morning we went to church at 11 and it was very cool. It is a small church and we were about 20 people, the service took about an hour and after that we walked on the old cemetery with graves from the 18th century. We went back home and started to pack our staff for the ride back to Hamburg, which was supposed to take 4 hours or so. We made sure that we had everything and that the house was clean. before we left. On the autobahn, there was heavy traffic again and again, so the whole drive took about 5 or 6 hours, on the way back we either slept, listened to music or teased each other, sorry Maria that you were our victim sometimes, but we still love you (at least I do;))

1 comment:

  1. Even the busy blogs are great to hear from. The internship sounds like its is interesting, and its good to stay busy life can't all be play with out work, Its neat to see you work on your dreams.Keep up on the good work. Letting us know what is going on. Your the best. Love mom B.

    ReplyDelete